the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Sunday, March 10, 2013

Honey-Spice Loaf Cake

I think this was from Bon Appetit, but not sure! It is from a magazine clipping, saved in my recipe box - and really good. It has pepper, which gives it a nice kick.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, soft
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup hot water

Directions:
Position rack in center of oven; preheat oven to 350'. Butter & flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Beat butter & sugar in large bowl; add egg and beat to blend. Mix in honey and molasses. Combine all dry ingredients; gradually add to honey mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup hot water.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. (Cake will be very dark). Transfer to rack; cool 10 minutes. Invert cake onto rack; cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment