the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pasta Meat Sauce with Ground Turkey

I got this from theyummylife.com - it was originally for the slow cooker, but I have done it on the stove, too, and it works just fine - especially now that it's cooler! This is really good on pasta or on cheese ravioli - my daughter said it reminded her of lasagna.

Here is the original recipe, with my changes for the stove top in bold:

  • 6 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3)
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce (I used 28 oz.)
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine (omitted, because I don't have any)
  • 2 tablespoons Italian herb seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (may reduce or omit for less spice)
  • 1 pound ground turkey (breast, thigh or mixed)
  • fresh chopped Italian parsley or basil for garnish (optional)
  • grated Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)

  • For the stove top:
    Brown the onion in olive oil until translucent; add garlic and stir a minute or so. Add ground turkey, cut up into chunks, and remaining ingredients except fresh herbs and parmesan.

    Stir gently to keep turkey from breaking up too finely, cover, turn heat down to low and simmer for an hour or more. If it's too liquidy for your taste, take lid off for final 15 minutes before serving.

    Season to taste, and serve over pasta. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and Parmesan, if desired.

    For the slow cooker:
    Coat inside of slow cooker with cooking spray. Put garlic, onion and olive oil in small bowl and microwave 2 minutes at full power, stopping and stirring after the 1st minute. Add all ingredients to slow cooker (minus the turkey) and stir to combine. Break ground turkey into chunks and add to the sauce. Tap down the turkey chunks so they are partially covered in the sauce, but do not stir or break up the turkey chunks. Cover, and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Stir cooked sauce, taste, and add more salt, if needed. Serve over pasta. Sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley or basil and grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment