the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Saturday, September 29, 2012

Grandma's Meat Sauce with Chuck Roast

You know how some dishes have a history deeply entrenched in them? This is one: my husband's grandmother made this for years, passed it along to his mom, and it is a mainstay at her house - for all family meals, etc. She uses the same heavy pot that her mother-in-law used. I cooked it in a dutch oven, and it worked perfectly.

Ingredients:
~2 lbs. chuck roast, fat trimmed
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
15 oz. tomato sauce
12 oz tomato paste
12 oz water (more as needed)
olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Coat bottom of heavy pot with olive oil; heat on medium. Saute onions and garlic until translucent.

 Add meat and brown on all sides, sprinkling with salt and pepper.

 Reduce heat to med-low and simmer for up to an hour. Add sauce and paste, stir, and simmer on low for 3-5 hours or until meat is fork-tender.
Cut meat into chunks, and serve along with sauce, over pasta. We like to use a short pasta to which the sauce can really cling - like rotini. I usually drain the pasta, return it to the pot, and mix in a ladle or two of sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment