the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Monday, September 3, 2012

Sausage Pizza Zucchini Boats

This is a *great* dish - a homeschooling friend shared the recipe. It comes from a website called Dashing Dish, and she calls it Pizzuchini. My entire family liked the meal- even my meat-loving, Italian husband.

Here is the recipe, and my changes are in bold:


4   large zucchini, halved lengthwise

1 lb. (2 cups) lean ground turkey or boca meat style crumbles
   I used Morning Star sausage, crumbled

1/4 cups onion, diced I used onion powder

2 tsp garlic powder I put 3 cloves garlic through the garlic press

1/2 tsp. salt I omitted

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 cup  pizza or pasta sauce I used 1 cup crushed tomatoes

2 tbs. grated parmesan

1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
 2 tbs basil, 2 tbs oregano, optional I added these to the pan

1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 13×9 baking dish with
    non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, combine ground turkey, onion,
    garlic, salt and pepper, (and basil and oregano if you desire).
    Cook over med-high heat until turkey is brown and cooked through.
    I just crumbled the sausage and added it to the pan.
3. While the turkey is cooking, make the ‘zucchini boats’ by scooping
    the seeds from center of each zucchini half, using a spoon or melon
    baller. This will make 8 long ‘zucchini boats’. Set boats in baking dish,
    placing them side by side.
4. Once the ground turkey is browned, add the pizza/pasta sauce and
    parmesan cheese to the skillet, and simmer over medium heat for
    5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened up.
5.  Spoon turkey mixture into zucchini boats. Sprinkle mozzarella
     cheese over the top of each boat.
6.  Bake zucchini boats for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is golden
     brown.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment