Here is the recipe, and my changes are in bold:
|4 large zucchini, halved lengthwise|
|1 lb. (2 cups) lean ground turkey or boca meat style crumbles |
I used Morning Star sausage, crumbled
|1/4 cups onion, diced I used onion powder|
|2 tsp garlic powder I put 3 cloves garlic through the garlic press|
|1/2 tsp. salt I omitted|
|1/4 tsp. pepper|
|1 cup pizza or pasta sauce I used 1 cup crushed tomatoes|
|2 tbs. grated parmesan|
|1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded|
|2 tbs basil, 2 tbs oregano, optional I added these to the pan|
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 13×9 baking dish with
non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, combine ground turkey, onion,
garlic, salt and pepper, (and basil and oregano if you desire).
Cook over med-high heat until turkey is brown and cooked through.
I just crumbled the sausage and added it to the pan.
3. While the turkey is cooking, make the ‘zucchini boats’ by scooping
the seeds from center of each zucchini half, using a spoon or melon
baller. This will make 8 long ‘zucchini boats’. Set boats in baking dish,
placing them side by side.
4. Once the ground turkey is browned, add the pizza/pasta sauce and
parmesan cheese to the skillet, and simmer over medium heat for
5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened up.
5. Spoon turkey mixture into zucchini boats. Sprinkle mozzarella
cheese over the top of each boat.
6. Bake zucchini boats for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is golden