the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Squash-Corn Muffins

We are trying new veggie recipes on a regular basis, since we've joined a veggie co-op. At least this week we got familiar things! I came home with a boatload of yellow squash, so we made muffins tonight - this made 12.

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow corn meal
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
4 tsp brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup shredded yellow squash
1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed (I used sweet white corn)

Preheat oven to 400*. Mix all dry ingredients; set aside. Combine oil, brown sugar, buttermilk and egg; add to dry ingredients. Fold in corn and squash, gently mix until moist. Divide between 12 muffin cups; bake 10 minutes or until done.

*it also called for a sweet red pepper, chopped - we didn't have any- and 1 tsp. chili powder, but I have some anti-spice children, so I omitted that. I was thinking cutting the sugar and adding chopped green onions would be good, too.

From Low Fat, High Flavor Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment