the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Monday, February 27, 2012

Gingerbread Muffins with Vanilla Glaze

We were in the mood for muffins today, and I found this. I subbed 1 cup of white whole wheat flour, and added a vanilla powdered sugar glaze, since the muffins aren't overly sweet. I think I'll also increase the ginger a bit the next time. Really, really good!

1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c. molasses
1/3 c. milk
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
1 c. all purpose flour, 1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground allspice

Heat the oven to 400°F. Spray muffin cups with non-stick spray, or use muffin liners. In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, molasses, milk, oil and egg. Stir in the remaining ingredients, just until the flour is moistened. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full of batter. Bake them for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Remove immediately from the muffin pan to a cooling rack. If desired, drizzle with vanilla glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
half and half until desired consistency

Mix sugar and vanilla, and add half and half until it reaches the desired consistency - I used about 3 teaspoons of half and half.

Makes 12

No comments:

Post a Comment