the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Friday, April 6, 2012

Hot Cross Buns - bread machine recipe

I adapted my "Crescent Rolls from the Bread Machine" recipe to make the dough for the Hot Cross Buns. We make these every year on Good Friday-

Ingredients:

3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs warm milk
1/4 cup orange juice
zest 1 orange
1 egg
6 Tbs butter, softened, DIVIDED *I used 3 Tbs. of butter in the mix, and just brushed the baked rolls with 1 tbsp. of melted butter
3 cups flour *I used 2 cups white bread flour & 1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

Put ingredients (use 3-4 Tbs of the butter) in bread machine in order listed. Use the dough cycle. When cycle is done, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into half, then each half into 12 pieces. Shape into rolls and place on greased baking sheets. If desired, slash each with a cross design. Cover and let rise for 20 minutes. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
enough orange juice to make a glaze

Drizzle buns with glaze - we normally do it in a cross pattern. These are good cold or warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment