the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter

Have you ever had pumpkin butter? I'd heard of it before, and tried sweet potato butter at my parents' house, and some friends gave me their pumpkins, squashes and gourds - so I decided it was worth a try. I found several different recipes online and put together my own. These websites were both helpful: skinnycrockpot & how to make pumpkin butter
You can use either fresh cooked/pureed pumpkin OR canned OR a combination of both. I used a 4 or 5 quart crock pot, and filled it to within 2 inches of the top:

4-6 cups fresh pumpkin
1 can pumpkin
1 1/2 cups apple juice (or cider)
1-2 cups sugar or brown sugar (I used 1 at first, and then added at least 1/2 cup more)
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice

Stir well, cover and cook 8-10 hours on low. I added more cinnamon and another 1/2 cup sugar at the end. This is fantastic- it's great on rolls, in plain yogurt, or just alone, warm with half and half drizzled over it. There are lots of warnings about canning pumpkin butter - I'm not a canner, so I didn't pay attention. :) I put half of it in the freezer for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment