the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Sunday, October 30, 2011

Taco Soup & Crispy Baked Corn Tortilla Strips

This soup is fantastic, and then we made the tortilla strips and served them on top of the soup. I got it from For the Love of Grub - my additions are in bold:

Taco Soup:

1 – 1 ½ lbs. ground turkey or beef, browned
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 envelope taco seasoning or 2T. homemade taco seasoning
1 can kidney beans * I omitted because I didn't have any
1 can black beans
small pkg. frozen corn
1-2 t. cumin
1-2 t. oregano
2 c. water or broth

I browned the ground beef with the onion and garlic, and drained the fat before adding it to the crockpot. Place all ingredients in crockpot and mix thoroughly. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Crispy Tortilla Strips

Corn tortillas, cut in strips
oil or PAM spray
cumin, taco seasoning, salt to taste

Preheat oven to 350*. Spread tortilla strips in single layer on cookie sheet; spray with PAM and sprinkle with spices. Bake until crispy, about 8-10 minutes, turning once during cooking.

These are best served hot, either on soup or just for munching.

No comments:

Post a Comment