the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Saturday, October 8, 2011

Orange Cranberry Muffins

We have a family tradition at Thanksgiving - we read Cranberry Thanksgiving, and then we make Orange Cranberry Bread - the recipe is on the back of the book. These muffins remind me of that bread, which we love. This turned out really, really well. I have no idea of the source - I wrote it down years ago and have never tried it until this morning.

Orange Cranberry Muffins
(makes 12)

1 3/4 cups flour (I used 1 cup white & 3/4 cup white whole wheat)
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, softenend
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup milk
1 tbsp. orange zest
1/2 cup chopped cranberries

Zest and juice the orange, if necessary. Preheat oven to 400*. Mix dry ingredients together; in separate bowl mix butter, sugar, egg, orange juice, milk and orange zest - this will be lumpy. Combine wet into dry, mixing only until moistened. Fold in cranberries. Bake in greased muffin tins 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on edges.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. I was just thinking about this book. I remember checking out a book from the library that was about Thanksgiving and cranberries and had a recipe in the back. But I couldn't remember the name. And here it is! Amazon says it was published in the 1990s, but the reviews have people recalling it from the 70s, like I do. THANK YOU for putting a name to my memory.

    And I just made almost an identical recipe with my daughter for a Mother-Daughter tea. They suffered from the high altitude (6500 ft above sea level), so I'll need to make adjustments so they'll rise correctly, but they are still yummy!

    ReplyDelete