the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Sunday, September 18, 2011

Crusty Cuban Bread

This is one of our favorite - I either make it all the way in the bread machine, or use the dough cycle and then the 2nd rise and bake in the oven. I've also done it completely by hand. It is from The Bread Machine Cookbook by Donna German.

If you use your bread machine, add the ingredients in the order recommended by the manufacturer. This is for a large loaf:

1 1/3 cups water
3 cups bread flour (I've also used up to 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoon yeast

Either make using the white or French bread setting on the machine, or the dough setting - after removing from the bread machine, punch dough down, dust with flour if sticky, divide in half, and shape into 2 loaves. Place on greased cookie sheet and let rise in a warm place, 30-40 minutes or until doubles. Bake @400* for 15-20 minutes or until crusty and hollow when tapped.

If by hand, mix ingredients, adding flour if necessary. Knead 5-10 minutes, place in a greased bowl and flip to coat with oil. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled. Punch down, divide into 2 loaves, and follow instructions above.

This is great with soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment