the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Dressing

This is fantastic - everyone loved it, it was very easy to make, and no weird ingredients. It's from a recent Martha Stewart Living magazine. The cucumber-yogurt dressing is very heavy on the cukes, which isn't the traditional way to serve it, but the crunch was really good with the chicken.

Chicken Souvlaki

1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, finely diced
1 tbsp. fresh oregano (or ~1 tsp. dried)
2 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper (I used sea salt)
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cut into 2-inch cubes
1/2 English cucumber, chopped (I used a regular cuke, peeled, seeded, chopped)
1/2 cup fat-free Greek yogurt
3 plum tomatoes, quartered
1/2 small red onion, cut into large chunks
*I added mushrooms, quartered*
pita bread

1. Mix lemon zest, 1 tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, half the garlic, oregano, 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. oil, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Add chicken, toss to coat; refrigerate, covered, for 45 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, stir together remaining lemon juice, garlic, cucumber, yogurt and 1/4 tsp salt. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve. (This is very chunky with the cucumber).

3. Heat grill to medium-high. Thread chicken, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms onto skewers. Brush with remaining 2 tsp. oil, season with pepper.

4. Grill, turning, until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Grill pitas until charred, about 2 minutes per side. **Alternate oven method, which is what I did: place chicken and veggies in single layer on a roasting pan and cook under the broiler until done, about 8 minutes. Stir halfway through. **Pitas: I sprayed a griddle pan with olive oil cooking spray, and cooked the pitas on med-high heat until charred, which didn't take long.

5.Serve with pita and cucumber-yogurt sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment