the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Saturday, January 29, 2011

White Beans & Greens

We tried this recipe out earlier in the week, and just made it for the second time - it's cheap, filling, and very tasty - and I imagine it's quite healthy, too. It would be cheaper if we used dried beans, but I didn't have the right kind on hand.

3T Extra-virgin olive oil + more to drizzle
4 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Onion, loosely chopped
7 handfuls Greens (spinach, loosely chopped chard, etc)*we used collards
~1/2 cup chicken stock
1/3 can diced tomatoes, drained
2 15 oz cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained

Parmesan cheese (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in large pot or skillet - saute onions over medium heat until translucent; add garlic and saute for a minute, taking care not to let it brown. Add tomatoes, stock and greens; stir until wilted. Add beans and saute on low for at least 15 minutes, adding stock as necessary (we like a little liquid in it at the end). Add salt and pepper to taste; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

This is really good as leftovers, too. I will edit this when I make it with dried beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment