the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Microwave Vanilla Pudding

This is a recipe adapted from Pillsbury Complete Cookbook - I didn't want to stand at the stove, stirring, for half an hour. We used this to fill our Cream Puffs -

Ingredients:
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk (I use skim, because that's what we drink)
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
In large, microwave-safe bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Whisk in milk. Cook in microwave on HIGH, two minutes at a time, stirring well in between (and make sure you scrape the bottom of the bowl when stirring - it starts to thicken). When it has thickened some (and it won't be that thick yet), remove from microwave.

In small bowl, pour or ladle about 2 cups of hot mixture. While stirring, drizzle in egg yolks (this is called tempering your eggs - so you don't have pudding with chunks of scrambled eggs) and stir well. Stir yolk mixture into hot mixture; blend well. Microwave for an additional 1 -2 minutes; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool. (I like to put plastic wrap on the surface of the pudding as it cools, so it doesn't form a skin.)

-you can either cool it in the bowl or spoon it into individual dessert dishes.
-this is really good hot, with a scoop of ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment