the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Cream Puffs, anyone?

Have you ever made them? I did one time, until yesterday - WAY back in 9th grade. We saw some at a bakery last week, and the girls asked me to buy some. My usual approach to that is to make the food at home, if possible (the last one was $6 funnel cakes)- so we did, the girls all helped, and they turned out great. We filled them with homemade vanilla pudding, and drizzled chocolate sauce over.

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 stick butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 eggs

Directions:
Heat oven to 400*. Heat water and butter to rolling boil in 2 1/2 quart saucepan. Stir in flour; reduce heat. Stir vigorously over low heat about 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball; remove from heat. Beat in eggs, all at once (yes, I thought they would scramble, but I stirred and my oldest daughter poured, so we didn't end up with egg casserole); continue beating until smooth. Drop dough (it's sticky!) by large spoonfuls at least 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 30-45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Cool away from draft. Cut off top one-third of each puff and pull out any filaments of soft dough. Fill puffs , replace tops, and dust with powdered sugar or as desired. Refrigerate any remaining puffs. (we filled the ones we were having for dessert, and then froze the remaining empty puffs.)

Notes:
-these would be good bite-sized, filled, and frozen - like you can get as a sample at Costco :D
-have all your ingredients measured and ready - once the liquids come to a boil, it all has to come together quickly
-the dough doesn't smell that great

From Betty Crocker's Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment