the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Sunday, October 10, 2010

Green and Red Tomato and White Corn Soup

I found this on allrecipes.com - our neighbor gave us a bag of green tomatoes, and Sunday afternoon I'm too tired to make Fried Green Tomatoes.

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • 1 onion, chopped

  • 1 clove garlic, minced (I used 3 cloves)

  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin

  • 1-2 tsp dried oregano

  • 4 green tomatoes, chopped

  • 4 tomatoes, chopped

  • 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (I used more, and it was frozen white corn)

  • 7 cups vegetable broth (I used 4 cups of chicken stock)

  • salt and pepper to taste

  • Directions

    1. In a stockpot heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, saute until soft.
    2. Stir in the cumin powder, oregano, tomatoes and corn. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
    3. Stir in broth, reduce heat to low and cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

    Nutritional Information

    Amount Per Serving  Calories: 182 | Total Fat: 7.2g | Cholesterol: 0mg

    No comments:

    Post a Comment