the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Crock Pot Pulled Pork

All the credit goes to Janet, a homeschooling friend - she brought us this when we first moved to her town, and this is my first attempt at the recipe. My husband is a BBQ lover, so we'll see how he likes it tonight - so is Janet's husband, and he approves. I had to finagle the recipe a bit because I didn't have all the ingredients:

  • 4 lbs. pork shoulder or beef or pork roast
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 onion, chopped fine
  • 2 cups ketchup or BBQ sauce
  • 8 oz taco sauce (not salsa) (I didn't have any, so I put more BBQ sauce in)
  • 2 Tbs. brown sugar
  • 2 Tbs. vinegar
  • 2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. liquid smoke
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 Tbs. dry mustard (I used more prepared mustard instead)
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
The night before, put the meat and salt in the crock pot.  Cook on low 8-10 hours.  The next morning, drain and shred the meat.  It will be very tender.  Put the shredded meat back in the crock pot and mix in all the other ingredients.  Cook another 2-6 hours on low, watching so it doesn’t burn.

Janet says it freezes well, and she sometimes freezes it in muffin cups for individual servings.

**one more note: I've also made it as directed, but after shredding I divided the meat in half - I kept half plain, and then made the sauce on the stove and simmered the other half like that. Both ways are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment