the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fruit Crisp (can use any fruit)

I've had a couple cans of peaches on my shelf for a while, with the idea of making cobbler or crisp - the family voted on crisp, and I adapted a recipe from my Pillsbury Complete Cookbook. This was fantastic - and it would be great with any fruit - the original recipe called for fresh fruit, but it was great with canned peaches. My youngest ate all the peaches and then ate the topping like cookies!

Ingredients:

Fruit Mixture:
6 cups fruit (fresh fruit would cook down more; I used 2 (28 oz) cans of peaches in light syrup, after draining the juice)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. water (or liquid from canned fruit)
1 tsp. lemon juice (I didn't add this)
1-2 tbsp. flour

Topping:
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, slightly soft

1. Heat oven to 375*. Place fruit in ungreased 2 quart casserole dish (I used an 11x7 metal baking pan). Sprinkle with cinnamon, water (liquid), lemon juice if using, and flour.
2. In large bowl, combine first 3 ingredients for topping. With pastry blender, fork or 2 knives, mix in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over fruit.
3. Bake at 375* for 25-35 minutes or until fruit is tender and topping is golden brown.
4. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream as desired. (we used whipped cream, but it was also very good plain.)

enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment