the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Waffles

Buttermilk Waffles
This recipe will serve about 4 people for breakfast.

•2 cups flour (I used white whole wheat)
•1 tsp salt
•1/2 tsp. baking soda
•2 eggs, separated
•1 3/4 cups buttermilk
•4 T. melted butter.
I tried it with 1 tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. brown sugar - they were really good

Preparation -

Heat the waffle maker. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl or measuring pitcher and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until they just start to hold a peak...do not beat until stiff. Whisk egg yolks with milk or buttermilk and melted butter. Gradually add this mixture to the dry ingredients mixing with spatula. Do not beat. The batter should still have some small lumps of flour which will disappear as the waffles bake. Gently fold in beaten egg whites

Batter will be thick. Use a spatula to gently push it from a mixing bowl or pitcher onto a preheated waffle maker. Baking time varies with different waffle makers. Check the instruction manual, and bake for the recommended amount of time - usually 3 to 4 minutes for standard waffles; 4 minutes or more for Belgian waffles. Serve piping hot with butter and syrup, jam, jelly, or your favorite fruit toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment