the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Monday, September 20, 2010

Ginger Snaps

Oh my goodness, these are good. My 10 year old daughter made them as practice for the county fair next month. (and she did them with only a little verbal assistance and some oven help from me)  Wow - try these, if you like gingery cookies (and I compared this with a few other recipes - some call for more ginger; these have a bit of a bite to them but aren't incredibly spicy - I'd love them with more ginger, but she wanted to make them according to the recipe).

Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup white granulated sugar
1/4 cup (60 ml) unsulphured molasses
1 large egg

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar

  • In large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, butter, molasses and egg. Beat until light and fluffy.
  • Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl, add to wet and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling.
  • Heat oven to 350*. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in 1/4 cup sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
  • Bake at 350* for 8-12 minutes or until set. (Cookies will puff up, then flatten during baking.) Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets.


Makes 5 dozen cookies. From Pillbury Complete Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment