the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Monday, September 20, 2010

Chunky Applesauce

We have two apple trees in our backyard - the first year we lived here, we never noticed them! (they are in a pine island in one corner of the yard) Last fall I was looking outside and noticed "something" on the trees - we investigated and found a huge crop of apples. I have no idea what kind - they are tart, but not as tart as Granny Smith.

apples, peeled and sliced (enough to fill up a large stock pot)
sugar to taste
1/4-1/2 cup water
cinnamon to taste
juice of half a lemon

Cook apples and remaining ingredients over medium heat until boiling; turn to low, cover and simmer until apples are tender. If you want it chunky, you can mash them with a potato masher - if you like it smooth, put it in the food processor or a food mill until smooth.

**you could also do this in the Crock Pot - just cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.

1 comment: