the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Friday, August 3, 2012

Easy Date-Filled Drop Cookies

This is from a book I found at my mother-in-laws: "Recipe Treasures We Love to Share", pub. 1965 (as a fundraiser):

Filling:
2 cups (approx. 3/4 lb) chopped dates
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cook dates, sugar & water together over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat, add nuts, let cool.

Cookie Dough:
3 1/2 c. sifted flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 lb butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1/3 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift dry ingredients. Cream butter & sugar; beat in eggs. Add buttermilk & vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on cookie sheets approx. 2" apart. Place 1/2 tsp. date filling in center of each (not necessary to make depression). Bake at 375 (original recipe says 450!) until lightly browned, approx. 10-12 minutes. Makes 5 dozen

*I haven't made these, but I plan to. I will update afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment