the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Friday, August 10, 2012

Carrot Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Icing

It was a muffin kind of morning, but the cupboard is somewhat bare. So my oldest daughter did some searching, considering the ingredients at hand, and found this. The muffins turned out really well, and we drizzled cream cheese icing over them. (because, of course, everything is better with cream cheese icing...)

My changes are in bold:
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used half white/half whole wheat)
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I used 3 tsp.)
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
  • 1 cup chopped nuts or dried fruit (optional; we used 3/4 cup raisins)
  • cream cheese icing, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400° with the rack in the upper third of the oven. Spray muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a separate large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Using a whisk or spatula, stir in the dry mixture and mix until well combined. Make sure the flour is fully integrated into the dough. Fold in nuts or dried fruit, if you please. Fold in the carrots.
4. Spoon into muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 full. Bake 16 minutes or until lightly brown.
5. Drizzle with cream cheese icing, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment