My changes are in bold:
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used half white/half whole wheat)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I used 3 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped nuts or dried fruit (optional; we used 3/4 cup raisins)
- cream cheese icing, optional
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In a separate large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Using a whisk or spatula, stir in the dry mixture and mix until well combined. Make sure the flour is fully integrated into the dough. Fold in nuts or dried fruit, if you please. Fold in the carrots.
4. Spoon into muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 full. Bake 16 minutes or until lightly brown.
5. Drizzle with cream cheese icing, if desired.