the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Monday, February 20, 2012

Snow Candy

Yum, a long ribbon of caramel-tasting candy!
Every year, when we get enough snow (which isn't always the case in North Carolina), we make snow candy. Here is the latest recipe we've used, which I adapted from here:

all the ingredients

melted, and starting to boil

between hard ball and soft crack stages




Snow Candy


1 pan of newly-fallen snow (sleds are handy for this!)
2 C brown sugar
1/4 C butter
4 TBSP molasses
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 TBSP water
1 tsp. vinegar


Boil sugar, butter, molasses, vanilla, water and vinegar in a large pot until the candy reaches the soft crack stage (274*).*Some recipes call for the hard crack stage, which is 300*, but my girls prefer it to be slightly chewy at room temp, so we only cook it to between hard ball and soft crack stages, 260-274 degrees.  Immediately remove the candy from the heat. Pour thin ribbons of candy over the pan of snow. The candy will harden and melt the snow.

1 comment:

  1. As if snow alone weren't enough reason to celebrate! I know your girls must love looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete