the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Saturday, September 24, 2011

Roasted Okra

I got a package of okra in our product co-op box, and usually I slice it, freeze it, and keep it for gumbo, but I decided to try it roasted. It was fantastic- 3 of us gobbled it up. One didn't like it at all, and my other daughter thought it was too peppery. I found a recipe on allrecipes.com.

  • 18 fresh okra pods, sliced 1/3 inch thick

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste

  • 2 teaspoons black pepper, or to taste

  • Directions

    1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    2. Arrange the okra slices in one layer on a foil lined cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.

    1 comment:

    1. I've been frying it after stirring it in an egg white and then coating it in freshly ground corn meal. But even with the small amount of fat that I use, this is bound to be healthier, and roasting veggies does such nice things for their flavor. (We LOVE roasted cauliflower.) I'm totally trying this.

      ReplyDelete