the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Saturday, April 30, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Chip Bran Muffins

I got this recipe from a fellow homeschooler - the original recipe, which is listed first, is extremely versatile. It makes a huge batch of muffins, or you can mix it up, leave it in the fridge, and bake muffins when you're in the mood. I don't have that space in my fridge, plus I don't like baking on weekday mornings when we're doing school, so I do the entire batch and freeze the extras. You can add in just about anything to these - I will list our favorite combinations at the end.

Original Muffin Recipe:

1 20 oz box bran cereal
3 cups sugar (I used 2 cups)
5 cups flour (I used 3 cups white whole wheat/2 cups all purpose)
5 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
Raisins, cranberries (optional, see below)
4 tsp cinnamon
3 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves

4eggs
1 quart buttermilk (I used soured milk)
1 cup oil (I used 3/4 cup)

I like to combine the bran flakes and buttermilk/soured milk first, so the bran flakes can soak. Then, combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Combine, and bake at 400' for 12-16 minutes or until done. I also make them as mini-muffins.

Mix-in ideas:
+ 2 shredded apples and 1 cup cinnamon baking chips
+ 1 can pumpkin, 1/2 cup cocoa and 1 cup chocolate chips
+ 1 can pumpkin + 1 cup cranberries

No comments:

Post a Comment