the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sweet and Sour Sauce

We had stir fry tonight, and I made this sweet and sour sauce - it is really, really tasty. I made it with rice wine vinegar. (from this website)

Yields about 1/2 cup

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup white or rice vinegar (Note: rice vinegar gives better results)
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 4 teaspoons water

Preparation:

Mix the vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, and soy sauce together and bring to a boil in a small pot. Mix together the cornstarch and water, add to the other ingredients and stir to thicken. **I mixed all the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl, microwaved for 2 minutes, and then had to add a bit more water)

(If desired, you can add 1 green pepper, cut into chunks, and pineapple chunks as desired after adding the cornstarch. For a thicker sauce, increase the cornstarch to 4 teaspoons while keeping the water constant.)

1 comment: