the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Swirled Dark & White Chocolate Peppermint Bark

We had some at Costco last month, and decided we needed to try making it - something new this Christmas. I used Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate, White Baking Chips from Aldi, and crushed candy canes. (I know the white baking chips aren't really white chocolate, but it's what I could find in a pinch) We combined several recipes from the internet.

Ingredients:
6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped if in bar form
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening, separated
6 ounces white chocolate (or baking chips)
1/2 -1 cup crushed peppermints/candy canes

Unwrap candy and place in large ziploc bag. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, crush peppermints to your liking. (We left some larger pieces) Set aside.

Combine dark chocolate and 1 teaspoon Crisco in a microwave-safe bowl. On 70% power, cook chips until smooth. I placed the bowl in a larger bowl filled with hot water while working on the white chips. Repeat with white chocolate/chips.

On baking sheet covered with wax paper (we used a cookie sheet - I was trying out different thicknesses), drop each chocolate by tablespoonfuls. With knife or spatula, swirl chocolates together. Sprinkle with peppermint. I lightly patted the peppermints to get them to stick better. Refrigerate for 30 minutes; break into pieces, and store in refrigerator.

Notes: The dark chocolate gives it a really good flavor. Some recipes called for adding some peppermint to the chocolates after melting; we chose to keep them separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment