the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Thursday, December 9, 2010

Chicken and Drop Dumpling Stew

This is from Eat at Home, one of my favorite recipe blogs - I added my changes in bold:

  • 3 boxes chicken broth (or 6 cans) I used stock from a rotisserie chicken carcass
  • 5-6 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning & a generous pinch of parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme
  • 3-4 cups cooked chicken, chopped
Dumplings:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot.  Add the vegetables and seasonings and bring back to a boil.

Mix up the dumplings.  Stir the flour, salt, and baking powder together.  Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork.  Stir in the milk to form a stiff dough.   Drop by spoonfuls in the boiling chicken broth.  Stir in the chicken and reduce the heat.  Cover and cook for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment