the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Biscuits

this recipe is from Eat at Home, one of my favorite recipe blogs. Hers calls for all whole wheat flour, but I made it 2/3 whole white wheat and 1/3 all purpose flour. The last time I made biscuits with 100% ww flour, they were like hockey pucks.

  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • heaping Tbs. baking powder
  • about 5 Tbs. butter, softened
  • nearly 1 cup of milk *I used buttermilk because I had some leftover.
Heat the oven to 450 degrees.  I use a baking stone to bake the biscuits and I put the stone in the oven to warm while I mix the dough.  If you use a cookie sheet, you won’t need to do that.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, salt and baking powder.  Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork.  Stir in the milk.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.  Fold it over several times and then pat it out with your hands, about 1/2 inch thick.

Use a biscuit cutter or small glass dipped in flour to cut the biscuits.  Place on a cookie sheet or baking stone and bake for 10 minutes.

I used a baking stone and they turned out really well. The girls ate them with butter, honey, jelly or ham. They were very good cold w/ham for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment