the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rich Hot Fudge Sauce

I'm always on the lookout for a good hot fudge sauce. Because hot fudge sauce makes anything better! I made an angel food cake yesterday afternoon, and by all appearances it was ready - I have made many of them in the past without problems. Do you know what happens to an angel food cake that is NOT ready? When you turn it upside down to cool, it starts to slowly droop out of the pan.

You needed to know that to know why I made hot fudge sauce - that sad, droopy, condensed angel food cake needed something to make it a bit more appealing. My oldest daughter and I made this recipe from several online:

Ingredients

  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 6-8 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa (we like things really chocolate-y around here!)
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup half and half, as needed
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Combine condensed milk, chocolate (and butter or oil if using) in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 2 minutes; stir. Continue until well blended. Mixture will be very thick.  
  2. Stir in half and half, a little at a time, until sauce reaches desired consistency. Cool slightly and stir in vanilla. Serve. (You may need to add a bit of milk at the end if it is still too thick.)
Makes about 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment