the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Friday, September 17, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins

this recipe is adapted from a few I found online:
makes 12 muffins

Muffins:
2 cups flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 all purpose)
¾ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1/3 – ½ cup sugar
3 Tbsp melted butter
1egg
1 cup buttermilk (I used sour milk - 1 tsp vinegar and add milk to make 1 cup; let sit)
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 large apple, grated (I used red delicious and grated it with the skin on - they cook down nicely)

Streusel:
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp cold unsalted butter

Directions:
Combine dry ingredients; combine wet ingredients. Fold wet into dry, mixing until just combined. Divide batter between 12 muffin tins sprayed with PAM. In separate bowl, combine streusel ingredients except butter. Cut in butter with fork or pastry cutter until it resembles crumbs. Sprinkle muffins with streusel mixture (press topping onto muffins a bit - it keeps it from falling off the muffins as much when you take them out).

Bake at 400* for 15 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment