the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Monday, October 7, 2013

Mixed Berry Mini-Muffins

Before I had children, we lived next to a wonderful neighbor who was also an amazing cook, along with being very organized: she made monthly menus, did freezer-cooking; anything to help with the busyness of being a mom of 3. This is one of her recipes, which comes from Taste of Home. They are originally blueberry muffins, but we use frozen mixed berries, and I love the combination of sweet and tart. It really does make 7 dozen mini-muffins, which are great to stock the freezer for busy mornings. I wondered about the small amount of baking soda & powder, but they turned out fine. 

Ingredients: 

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (or soured milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 cups all purpose flour (I used half white whole wheat)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups fresh or frozen berries
Additional sugar, optional

Directions

In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; mix well. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in blueberries (batter will be thick).

Fill greased or paper-lined miniature muffin cups with about a tablespoon of batter. Sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake at 375* (350* for dark non-stick pans) for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 7 dozen.

adapted from: Taste of Home

No comments:

Post a Comment