the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Thursday, February 24, 2011

Creamy Basil Tomato Soup

I adapted this from several recipes online - and it was a cold, rainy day, so this was perfect!

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
18 fresh basil leaves, minced
1-2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup milk
salt & pepper to taste

Saute onions in olive oil until soft; add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add tomatoes and chicken broth, heat to boiling; cover and simmer on low for 10-15 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, heat through and serve. (If desired, puree in batches until smooth)

I sprinkled slices of Italian bread with mozzarella or swiss cheese and heat under the broiler - this was wonderful torn into pieces and dunked into the soup.

1 comment:

  1. Oh this sounds yummy! I think I'll plan this for a lunch next week.

    ReplyDelete