the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Fried Apples 'N' Onions

In Farmer Boy, Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about her husband, when he was a young boy. He LOVED to eat - this was evidently his favorite dish. The first time I read this book to the girls (at least 6 yrs ago), my oldest asked me to make them. She asks every time we re-read the book - and I finally hunted down the recipe. It starts with bacon, which, of course, makes almost anything fantastic. (I've seen recipes using butter for a non-meat version) - this is adapted from several I found online.

4 slices bacon
2 medium yellow onions, sliced thin
5-6 medium tart apples, cored and sliced thin (we used a mixture of Granny Smith and Pink Lady)
salt & pepper to taste
3 teaspoons brown sugar

Cook the bacon until crispy; crumble and set aside. Keeping one tablespoon bacon drippings, saute onions until translucent. Add apples, salt and pepper, and stir until all apples have been mixed in. Cover and let cook until apples are tender. Sprinkle with brown sugar and crumbled bacon, mix well.

We had it with mashed potatoes, which was a good combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment