the first dessert I baked for my then-fiance was red velvet cake, and he was hooked...I love to cook, and my 3 daughters are following in my footsteps. This is a collection of recipes that we love. Feel free to comment - good, bad, indifferent - if you try any, let me know how they turn out.



Saturday, September 11, 2010

Meatballs and Spaghetti

this is a recipe from a make-ahead-and -freeze article from Family Fun magazine, from at least 8 years ago - this is a mainstay: I make it for meals to take to friends, and at least one daughter a year requests it for their birthday. The meatballs are fantastic.

1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup minced parsley
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I use italian breadcrumbs)
1 1/2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 eggs
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or I'll mince garlic)
1/8 tsp pepper

Heat oven to 350'. Mix all ingredients together; form into walnut-sized balls. Place them on foil-lined baking trays. (I use 13x9 trays to catch more splatters, and the foil makes it really easy to clean the pans). Bake 20-25 minutes until moderately browned. Let cool - if you are going to freeze them, place them in a ziploc.

I use jarred sauce if I'm in a rush, or this is the sauce recipe from the article:

Simple Tomato Sauce:

Mince 4 cloves garlic. Puree 2 28 cans of whole tomatoes in a blender. In a large saucepan, saute garlic over medium heat in 3 tbsp olive oil for a minute or so. Add tomatoes and salt to taste. Reduce heat and simmer ~45minutes.  This makes a ton of sauce; I usually freeze at least half for another meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment